Tattoos can mark a group identity, memorialize persons or events, or carry more spiritual meanings. Changing the bodies we are born with can be also discussed philosophically. We will discuss getting a tattoo in details.
Have you ever heard of Iceman Ötzi? If you have already known him, congrats! You really dug into the history of tattoos before getting one or thinking about getting it. However, if this name does not ring a bell, let us tell you the importance of him.
South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology introduces him as “a glacier mummy from the Copper Age, who, thanks to extraordinary circumstances, has been preserved down to the present day“. It’s been said that he was preserved in the ice for almost 5300 years! It is hard to believe, but he is older than the Egyptian pyramids or Stonehenge. You can find his body and his artifacts at the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology in Bolzano, Italy.
World’s oldest tattoos
Another discovery about him is that he still owns the world’s oldest tattoos on his body. Actually, Ötzi owns oldest 61 tattoos! This amazing exploration has proven that tattoos have been a part of us for centuries.
In today’s world, getting a tattoo has become very popular. Especially, social media has served the tattoo artists well since people can share their tattoos on their account and let their friends know that they have one. This action also satisfies people since they feel braver about sticking out from the crowd.
Although getting a tattoo is becoming more popular, there are many people oppose the idea for several reasons, such as finding it risky in terms of health issues. Let’s have a look at different reasons of tattoo lovers and haters.
- Carrying your memories on your body for the rest of your life.
- Feeling brave.
- Reminding yourself not to give up on life.
- Expressing yourself in a unique way.
- No one can take them away from you.
- Tattoos are beautiful & sexy.
- You get them because you simply want them.
- Everybody has a tattoo nowadays.
- They do not make you cool or change your personality.
- Facing a discrimination.
- You will most probably regret it in the future.
- Having difficulties about getting a job.
- They are not always that beautiful
- You have a perfect, God-given body and you are ruining it.
- They are not sexy for some.
Are you getting a tattoo or not?
Like every other thing in life, people have different perspectives and opinions about tattoos. What about you? Are you a hater or a lover of tattoos? Let us know if you already have one and planning to get another one.